I am lucky enough to have been nominated for three blog awards! Thanks so much! Normally I don’t make award posts – I just don’t have the time – but posts are going to be very spare this week, as I prepare for a family trip to Florida (we leave early Friday morning), so I figured I could use these awards to put up some new content, and let everyone get to know me a bit better. So, thank you again for nominating me for these awards! I’m so thrilled that you enjoy my blog enough to think of me. ♥
This award is given to up and coming bloggers who have less than 200 followers. Liebster is a German word meaning sweetest, cute, kind, valued and several other words of adoration. How sweet! Thank you to Lauren @ Story Bound and Aliraluna @ Velvet Red for nominating me!
I’m going to do this a little differently than the stated “rules” but here are the official rules I’m supposed to be following:
1) Each person must post 11 facts about themselves!
2) Answer the 11 questions the tagger has given you.
3) Choose 11 people and link them in your post.
4) Tell them you’ve tagged them and please, no tag backs!
5) Write 11 questions for the people you’ve tagged.
11 Facts About Merin
- I am a huge, gigantic sports fan. I love pretty much anything, although my favorites are Major League Baseball, NCAA College Basketball, and Tennis. My favorite team is the St. Louis Cardinals, and I also love the Saint Louis University Billikens (I did my undergrad at SLU).
- I get really majorly excited every two years when the Olympics roll around (see #1 about being a gigantic sports fan); I have been devouring the TV coverage of the US Olympic Trials. Favorite Olympic sports include swimming, diving, gymnastics, figure skating, and the sliding sports (luge, bobsled, skeleton).
- I just finished up my Master’s in Library and Information Science from the University of Illinois’s Graduate School of Library and Information Science, with a focus on Youth Services.
- I just got a new job! I am a brand new Library Media Specialist for a local elementary school, where I will be working with students in Kindergarten through sixth grade.
- I am a big fan of TV crime dramas. I know, they’re all rather similar after a while, but I just love them. My current favorites are Criminal Minds, The Mentalist, NCIS: Los Angeles, and Grimm, which is a crime drama PLUS fairy tales!
- I am a huge Mythology nerd. It was my favorite unit in high school, and I’ve loved it ever since. Greek Mythology is my favorite, although I also like reading about other cultural myths.
- I actively played the violin for eleven years, starting in third grade and continuing through my freshman year of college. I was good enough to make various All-Suburban orchestras, the Missouri All State Orchestra, and the St. Louis Youth Symphony. I also performed in various Solo and Ensemble Festivals. I don’t play at all anymore, although I still own the instrument and COULD play if the desire struck. It hasn’t yet, though, and it’s been ten years.
- My perfect relaxing evening at home includes me sitting in a rocking chair, curled up with a blanket, listening to my iPod and reading a book.
- I LOVE Disney! Disney World is one of my favorite places to travel (I’ve been there three times now, and am getting ready for a fourth), and I adore Disney movies and merchandising. They really have the whole thing down. I just saw Brave a couple weeks ago, and loved it. Would definitely recommend!
- I used to do a lot of work with FictionAlley, a Harry Potter fansite that hosts Harry Potter fanfiction (ratings G-R only, thanks!) and lots and lots of discussion boards. I no longer consider myself “in fandom”, but for a good seven or eight years, it was all Harry Potter, all the time. Harry Potter was the first book that I loved with an almost fanatical intensity. I am actually attending a Harry Potter conference while I’m in Florida, and it will be a really great way to cap off my Harry Love Affair.
- I am NOT a morning person; I didn’t roll out of bed until noon today. It’s awful for me that every single day has to start with me getting out of bed!
Now it’s time to answer the questions posed to me. Here are Lauren’s:
1) What is your all time favorite book?
I hate these favorite questions! I don’t really have one favorite. I mentioned Harry Potter above, so you’re aware of that one, but I also really love the Percy Jackson & the Olympians books by Rick Riordan. To see my other favorites, I will link you to my Goodreads’ Favorites Shelf.
2) Where is your favorite place you have traveled to?
I mentioned Disney World above, but I also really loved Toronto. The Royal Gorge in Colorado was beautiful, too.
3) Do you have any pets?
Nope, not currently!
4) Beach or Mountains?
Probably the beach, because of the water. I enjoyed Colorado, but even in June it was freezing cold!
5) What is your favorite movie?
Another favorite question! I loved the Narnia movies (Prince Caspian is my favorite), the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, Clue, Dirty Dancing, Disney’s The Sword in the Stone, and The Princess Bride, so would probably call those my top favorites.
6) How many times have you read the Harry Potter series?
This will probably surprise you, but I’ve only read the series in its entirety once, and that was when Deathly Hallows came out. I have read all of the other books aside from DH at least twice, because I re-read as the last three books came out. Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite of them all.
7) What is the last concert you went to?
I think it was Coldplay, back when Viva La Vida was released. Either them or Maroon 5. I can’t remember which concert was first.
8) What is your favorite sport to watch on TV?
Baseball, probably, just because I hardly ever miss a Cardinals game. The “sport” I get most excited about, however, are the Olympics, which is a giant mix of sports that takes over my TV for the entire two weeks they’re happening.
9) Cookies or Brownies?
Depends! I like them both.
10) What are your plans for celebrating July 4?
It is super hot here and super dry, so fireworks shows have been being cancelled all over the place. But as of right now, our local fireworks display is still on, so I’m planning on watching the fireworks with my parents and brother, just as we’ve done every single year since I was born.
11) What book are you most excited for this year?
There are SO MANY great books coming out this year, but the one I am most excited about is probably The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan. Either that, or Crewel by Gennifer Albin, which I also really really want to read.
And here are Aliraluna’s questions:
1) What’s your favorite genre?
YA Fantasy, definitely. I have a thing for paranormal reads, although I have to admit I’m getting a little tired of some of the tropes that are popping up in every single book ever.
2) Favorite color?
3) Favorite place in the world?
If we’re sticking to places I’ve actually been, then I mentioned those above. If we’re talking about places I’d like to visit, then I’d say anything in Europe, because I’ve never been overseas. I’d love to see the Ancient Greek and Roman ruins, and I’d also love to take a tour of famous Holocaust sites. And, of course, there’s Paris and London!
4) Favorite series?
Harry Potter, Percy Jackson (and the spin-off series), Narnia.
5) Favorite animal?
Hmm, I don’t really have a favorite! I love polar bears, panda bears, snow leopards, and lots of other big cats. But one animal you may not be familiar with that I think is fantastic is the Kakapo (pronounced KAR-kah-poe). Kakapo are critically endangered, and native to New Zealand. THIS is a fantastic book about them that I’d highly recommend.
6) What is your dream?
I actually just achieved my dream, at least in terms of the new job. I also want the usual: to get married, to travel, etc. But the job was the big goal that I had and can now cross off!
7) Favorite food?
Ooh, this is hard. I love pasta of pretty much any kind. I also love what Americans call “Chinese food”, especially crab rangoon. Red Lobster’s Crab Alfredo is delicious, and I have a major love for McDonald’s french fries. I’m a bit eclectic when it comes to food!
8) Favorite movie?
See above. :)
9) What are your hobbies?
I’m not sure I have actual hobbies. It used to be playing the violin, but I don’t do that anymore. I like to attend sporting events, go to movies, and listen to music. And obviously, I love to read.
10) Write whatever you want :)
I think I’m all written out! I can’t really think of anything else to add.
I was nominated for the Stylish Blogger Award by Jona @ Jonababez, which really made me smile! To accept this award, you have to answer the nine questions below about yourself.
1) What’s your favorite song?
This changes all the time, but right now the song getting the most play on my iPod is We Are Young by .fun.
2) What’s your favorite dessert?
Anything chocolate. I also really like strawberry shortcake with whipped cream. Yum!
3) When you’re upset, what do you do?
Write about it. Generally writing it down will do wonders for me, and help me move past whatever is bothering me. I also call my mom and rant at her, because she’s a good listener and generally knows what to say. I guess it’s a mom thing.
4) What was your favorite pet?
Cats, probably. Yeah, I’m that stereotypical librarian! The only thing I don’t do is knit.
5) What do you prefer to wear, black or white?
It really depends. I have a lot of both. I wear black dress trousers to work most days, because I think they look the most professional. But if I’m going to be outside in warm weather, the black stays in the closet and I’ll wear lighter colors instead.
6) What is your biggest fear?
Bees! I hate them!
7. What is your attitude mostly?
I’m pretty laid back. I like to think that I’m friendly, and tend to think on the bright side of things. Most things don’t really bother me.
8. What is perfection to you?
Doing things to the best of your ability.
9. What is your guilty pleasure?
1980s Hair Bands, 1990s/2000s pop music, chocolate, and trashy romance novels. Bet you didn’t see that one coming! :D
Now, instead of tagging people for these awards, since I know a lot of folks don’t do them because of time constraints, I’m instead going to link you to a few blogs that I enjoy and think you should check out. Some of these are well known, others are not, but all are worth a visit!
- Michele @ Just A Lil’ Lost
- Alicia @ BOOKAWORLD
- Cassie @ Books and Bowel Movements (her Newsday Tuesday feature is awesome)
- Lee & Ally @ Rally the Readers
- Wendy @ A Cupcake and a Latte
If you made it all the way through this ridiculously long post, thank you! And thanks again to the three ladies who nominated me for these awards. I probably won’t do anymore of these posts, but the gesture and sentiments are well appreciated. ♥