Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week they will post a new Top Ten list that one of the bloggers there at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join!
Today’s Top Ten Tuesday topic is about our goals and/or resolutions for 2014. As a general rule, I don’t make any resolutions because I am terrible about keeping them, but I do have some things I would like to achieve this year, so am going to go ahead and post about them, even though doing so may very well jinx me. It seems like every time I post a list of things I want to read, or things I want to do, I never get to any of them. But since this is all in good fun, here’s my list. Just keep in mind as you read that I may not ACTUALLY do any of the things listed! :)
1) Read at least 80 books. Usually I shoot for 100, but the past two years – as soon as I’ve hit Winter Break – I’ve done absolutely zero reading, so wanted to set a goal that wouldn’t have me feeling forced to do something I didn’t necessarily want to do.
2) Strive to eat healthier snacks. I am the first to admit that I love junk food. Like, I have an inordinately huge love for things I should not eat. So instead of things that really aren’t good for me, I am going to try to mix in some fruits, veggies, and yogurts. I like these things, but they’re just not my go-to snack food. We’ll see if I can get myself to make the switch.
3) Re-read The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit and read The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien. I love The Lord of the Rings books, but I’ve only read them once. I really want to re-read them this year, along with The Hobbit, and also make my way through The Silmarillion for the first time. I especially look forward to reading about Beren and Luthien’s epic romance. ♥
4) Buy a house. Yep, I really REALLY want to buy a house this year! I’m looking forward to having a place I can do whatever I want with, that will have enough room for all of my stuff (because I have a LOT of stuff!).
5) Actually make it through an audiobook. I know. A lot of you adore audiobooks and profess your love for them in long and gushing ways. I am not one of these people; I am fairly certain I have a touch of ADD and really have a hard time focusing on books that are being read to me. However, I really want to give this medium an honest-to-goodness try. If you have any audiobook recommendations that I should try, feel free to leave them in the comments.
6) Read more of my own books. I love the library, and e-galley sites are the bane of my existence, because there’s so much good stuff to be found in both places and I just want to read ALL THE THINGS. But I have plenty of things of my own to read, and really need to start getting through the ridiculous amounts of books piled up everywhere around me.
7) And on that note: Read galleys within one month of getting access to them. I am DEFINITELY going to try my hardest to do this one, because I really think it will make me think a bit harder about which ones I request. If I can’t read it within a month, I’m not going to request it. No, seriously, I’m not. SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE SURE I STICK TO THIS ONE, OKAY?
8) Be a bit less anti-social. I am SUCH a huge introvert. I joke that I don’t like people, and while that’s not entirely true, I really am a giant homebody who doesn’t like to go out. I know this about myself, but that doesn’t mean I can’t go out more than I would usually. Something about getting outside one’s comfort zone and all that, right?
9) Exercise more. Now, I am not saying I’m going to go out and join a gym or whatever. Because I’m not. But I would like to be a bit more active within the confines of my own home. Using the Wii Fit or Xbox Kinect wouldn’t be completely out of the question, and at least would get my moving around rather than my usual routine of collapsing in exhaustion upon getting home from work and watching mindless TV, am I right?
10) Be more awesome. No, really. Have you seen those Kid President videos? He’s a huge believer in being more awesome, and I love this motto and way to live your life. My favorite video is below. Give it a watch and then tell me that his adorable face and huge grin don’t make you smile as well!
Happy New Year, everyone! ♥