NOTE: This is a new type of review for me here at Read and Reviewed! I’ve decided that, whenever I read novellas, and choose to review them, I’m going to do it in a mini-review where I share five thoughts on the novella with you. They will be fairly generic, where I hit upon what I liked about them, and I will also include a note on whether or not I think they’re worth reading, since it’s been my experience that not all of these between-novel novellas really are. So here’s my very first Mini-Review!
This Night So Dark (Starbound #1.5)
by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
Disney Hyperion, 2014
Previous Installment: These Broken Stars
Tarver still has nightmares about the night, six months before the Icarus crash, when he rescued civilian researchers held hostage by brutal mercenaries. Now he and Lilac reconcile his memories of that night with the truth uncovered after the crash.
Short connects first two novels. Includes preview chapter from This Shattered World.
- First of all, I want to say that I thoroughly enjoyed This Night So Dark. Not only did this novella provide more Tarver POV – and give us some of his backstory, as well as some information on the crash of the Icarus in These Broken Stars – but it also let us have more interaction between Tarver and Lilac, whom I adore.
- Tarver called Lilac “beautiful” – not once but twice. Be still my heart! ♥
- This novella introduced us to a new character, Sanjana, who, to put it bluntly, is totally kick ass. She’s one tough lady, not only good in a tight spot but also extremely intelligent and quite witty. I don’t know if we’ll get a chance to see more of her, but I for one would definitely love to know what she’s gotten up to post-This Night So Dark. Especially considering Tarver and Lilac’s revelations.
- This was 109 pages of non-stop action. While I knew that Tarver would obviously be okay, since the events here preceded those in These Broken Stars, my anxiety was kind of through the roof at points as he worked to get himself and the others into safety. It definitely had a huge edge of your seat-feel to it, and I loved that. It’s been a while since I’ve read something that grabbed me like that.
- I’d sort of forgotten just how young Tarver is. I mean, I KNOW he and Lilac are both young, but he’s referred to by one of the scientists as a kid, and that sort of hit me hard. This really is a young man who was put into a very dangerous situation – two, if you count the whole stint on the weird planet post-Icarus crash – and managed to come out on the other side relatively unscathed considering. The fact that he can departmentalize and focus when needed is something I personally find very attractive in a character, and Tarver is definitely one of my favorites!
FINAL VERDICT: Since This Shattered World focuses on two new characters, you’ll want to read this simply for more Tarver and Lilac. Definitely give this one a read!